Tuesday, February 16, 2010

if this it... please let me know-

yeah, while embarking on this epiphany, I ended up with the Huey Lewis song in my head. pretty different theme, but the key chorus lyrics are applicable. bear with me.

Surprisingly enough, opening a 5 star resort requires an incredible amount of stress and energy. Throw in the fact that it's on an island in a 3rd world country... bring it on. I give the excuse of "Nicaragua," "language," "time." But, what is stressing me out? Even if I was speaking English in the middle of Manhattan, the egg vendor would still be trying to make me pay for 10 cases, not 4. The power might go out and guests would be waiting for food. hmmm, or, is it moreso the fact, that, in fact, this is what it takes to open any restaurant?

it suddenly dawned on me, when I said to myself, "The people in my kitchen are all morons!" Wait a second. That doesn't have to do with being in Nicaragua- I've heard countless bosses exclaim that in American kitchens. Then, I laughed. And not a delirious laugh, but one of acceptance and realization... I mean, my title describes it... i'm kind of a big deal. executive chef. When i take a step back and think about it,
to reference another catchy tune; Brenton Wood's "gimme some kind 'a sign, girl..."
here they are, some signs that i've really made it big, that I hadn't really paid attention to:
  • Purveyors give me free samples (coffee, fruit, fish)
  • I dumb down my menus so that my cooks can learn the recipes.
  • I think I work with a bunch of morons who can't do anything right. this goes for cooks, and even moreso, the front of house staff.
  • I eat poorly but make elegant and nutritious food.
  • I spend some time almost everyday arguing with the soap vendor about why he is trying to screw me over in sales and products.
  • my favorite people at work are the dishwashers. they work the hardest.
  • I barely have time to be jealous of people who get time to work out, eat healthy, have friends.
  • I enjoy family meal and drink too much coffee.
  • I haven't had a day off since... hmm.
  • sometimes, I just do NOT want to small talk with guests.
  • I make the same bad jokes that only suck-ups laugh at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLgHGCtlVQ
regarding the video link: mind you, replace "bork" with "con gusto!"... this is all being done in Spanish.


*addendum: after I wrote this post, on my morning off, the woman who helps with shopping walked into my bedroom to tell me that Pollo Rico did not have whole chickens today. So I got up and went, conveniently across the street with her, to pick up whole legs and airline cut breasts. this is one of many occurrences that reminds me, yes, I'm still in Nicaragua.

No comments:

Post a Comment