Wednesday, November 16, 2011

show me your pics!

Social media and smart phones make it so easy to take photos, anytime, any place. It’s pretty ridiculous. Even being abroad, I hear the backlash of nay sayers who get sick of friends and acquaintances posting photos of food. Food. Really? 

 Well, as for me, I love seeing your food pictures! Food is not just nourishment, but a craft, an adventure, and a way to bring people together. The photos you share can be artful, or educational. What you’ve grown, created, or been served... It may be you eating a McRib. I think that counts big-time as an adventurous food. Sometimes they’re blurry. Eh. Work on that one, would’ja?
 But what I love even more than photos of food, are photos of seeing you enjoy it! I’ve been cooking professionally for 7 years. But, although you might not believe it, I’ve been eating for my entire life! And the best part of mealtime is that it brings people together. 
 During the holidays at Club P we sing (in the most awkward “happy birthday”-esque voices; I channel Tina Turner), a song called “We Gather Together,” a sung Grace that acknowledges gratitude for where our food comes from and where it takes us. It’s a cheesy tradition that, more than it’s spiritual aspects, signifies the warmth and joy of the simplicity that is being with loved ones.
 Because more important than your technique, presentation, or how expensive or organic your meal was, 
 is the love behind it. It’s contagious. here’s some of the love I saw during my trip to California; both in human and inanimate form:


Aimee helping mom plate sundaes with the most delicious homemade butterscotch brownie on the bottom
Dickie P searing Rib Eyes for the fam

Zack digging into a meatball and fava green stew 
Mateo wolfing his burger, "animal style"

greens aplenty for daily salads courtesy of Aimee's Best Raised Beds

Will plating up caramelized brussels sprouts

Summer savoring a rich chocolate cake


All American homemade strawberry shortcakes


Erin, Mat and I at Mat's new tapas restaurant in SF, Canela
Buen provecho & Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment